Creole Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Puffs
Gumbos, Soups, and Bisques
Serving Size: 8
Creole Tomato Soup
- 1 1/3 pounds creole tomatoes, cored and diced
- 1 1/4 pounds roasted red pepper, peeled
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups yellow onion, peeled and sliced
- 3 tablespoons clarified butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon tarragon
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 pint heavy cream, heated
- 11 1/2 ounces tomato juice, 2 cans
In the butter, sweat the onions and celery. Add the chopped tomato and red bell pepper. Tie all herbs into one or two bouquet garni, and add to the soup.
Add the tomato juice and bring to a boil. Let the soup simmer for 30 minutes and add the salt and pepper.
In a blender, puree all soup, discarding the bouquet garni. Strain the soup through a chinois. When all of the soup has been pureed and strained, add the warm heavy cream and taste for seasoning.
Grilled Cheese Puffs
- 4 tablespoons butter, diced into cubes
- 10 ounces goat cheese, or your favorite cheese
- 3 ounces milk
- 3 1/2 ounces all purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
Combine butter, cheese, salt and milk in a pot and bring to a boil. Be sure all of the butter and cheese is melted. Remove from heat and stir in flour with a heavy wooden spoon. Continue to stir until all of the flour is incorporated. Stir in the eggs one at a time (this step can be completed in a mixer.)
Fit a pastry (piping) bag with a plain or star pastry tip. Fill the pastry bag with the batter. Cover a sheet pan with parchment or a silpat liner. Pipe quarter size amounts of the batter onto the pan. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 15-20 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown.